Coastal Specialty Gas manufactures a full range of Specialty Gas mixtures. Coastal offers a wide range of components can be blended, into cylinders of a variety of sizes and materials, to produce mixtures in the gas or liquid phase, subject to certain technical and safety limitations.
A material safety review is conducted on mixtures to determine if it is physically possible, safe and can be made with the required accuracy and precision. A number of key factors affect this decision:
- Compatibility: Components that may react with each other under high pressure cannot be safely blended together.
- Cylinder Package Reactions: A stable mixture can only be obtained if reactions between a component and the cylinder wall can be prevented. Such reactivity will determine the cylinder and valve material, the cylinder preparation procedure and the possible minimum concentration that can be produced with a determined stability.
- Flammability: Mixtures that contain both flammable and oxidizing gases can only be made in very limited concentration ranges. The flammable gas must be safely below the Lower Explosion Level (LEL) to allow safe blending. All Flam-Ox mixtures are reviewed to insure a safe blend is manufactured.
- Vapor Pressure: All Blends are calculated at a targeted dew point and pressure. If a component is liquefiable, the maximum pressure to which the mixture can be made is limited to prevent possible condensation of that component. If this is not calculated correctly the mixture concentrations could be compromised. We review your mixture ,application and usage to insure that you have a solution that works for your needs.
Mixtures are available in three main categories defined by the accuracy and precision of the blending and analytical processes.
- Primary Standards are made to the highest tolerances. Gases of the highest available purity are blended by weight using high accuracy, high load scales calibrated with NIST Class S weights. The final mixture is analyzed to confirm the gravimetrically calculated composition.
- Certified Standards can be manufactured by a variety of methods .The mixture is analyzed against a Primary Standard or, in certain cases, a NIST traceable reference material to determine the assayed concentration.
- Gravimetric Mixtures are prepped and blended in the same manner as Certified Mixtures, but there is no analytical confirmation or report generated.
|Primary Standard||5 – 50%
1 – 5%
0 – 1%
|± 1% relative
± 1% relative
± 5% relative
|± 1% relative or
± 0.02% absolute,
whichever is smaller
|Certified Standard||1 – 50%
50 ppm – 1%
5 – 49 ppm
|± 5% relative
± 10% relative
± 20% relative
± 2% relative
± 5% relative
|Unanalyzed Mixtures||0.1 – 50%||± 20% relative||Not Applicable|
Special Purpose Mixtures
A full range of mixtures are manufactured to established specifications to meet the requirements of certain defined applications. These products are used in such applications as:
- Environmental Monitoring (EPA Protocol Mixtures)
- Vehicle Emission Monitoring
- Life Gases
- Laser Gases
- Natural Gas Standards
- Medical Device Mixtures (Blood Gases, Lung Diffusion Mixtures, Biological Atmospheres, Medical Laser Mixtures)
- Leak Detection Mixtures
- Furnace Gas Mixtures
- Electron Capture Mixtures
- Flame Ionization Fuel Mixtures
- Spark Chamber Mixtures
- Nuclear Counter Mixtures
As the realm of gas mixtures is fully customizable, please call Coastal Specialty Gas direct to discuss your application and requirements.